We went to my 40 week Drs appointment with high hopes that I'd had significantly more progress towards the arrival of our little man than the previous week. Much to my dismay, it was very limited. However, once again, my blood pressure was high and for the first time the Drs became concerned. (Frankly, I'd wondered why it hadn't been an issue the week before.) Anyway, after taking my blood pressure numerous times the Dr sent me
home, told me to not get off the couch (well, actually she said out of bed unless necessary) all night and to come back in the morning to get my BP checked again. We had an appointment scheduled for the following Tuesday for another ultrasound because I was measuring big. Friday morning I got myself ready for work, hoping I wouldn't be going in and would either have to go home to remain on the couch or be sent to the hospital. The Dr told me to go to the hospital. Of course, I had to stop at Target on my way home because I'd procrastinated purchasing nursing bras and figured I'd pick up a few magazines while I was at it! A little Cosmo is always a great source of entertainment!
We arrived at the hospital around noon and got situated in a room. My nurse, Amy came in, got my saline IV started and finished checking me in.
Two hours later...yes TWO HOURS LATER the Dr on call finally came in. (Side note: The Dr on call was one of the Drs I didn't particularly care for...) He came in and asked what I wanted to do. Umm...hello...I was told to come to L&D, I'm checked in, IVed, what do you mean what do I want to do? Lets get this baby out!!!! He'd asked about my BP being high at previous appointments and Dr. Ding-a-Ling didn't seem to remember that he saw me the previous week, when it was high and I had a bit of protein in my urine, and he wasn't concerned at all.
We arrived at the hospital around noon and got situated in a room. My nurse, Amy came in, got my saline IV started and finished checking me in.
A few hours later (after we were able to eat "lunch") they came in to get the induction process started.
A drug called Cervidal (I think ;)!) was inserted behind my cervix and I was told it stays in for 12 hours. This drug is supposed to help soften the cervix. Not long after I started having contractions. An hour later, I was having non-stop contractions. We'd called for our nurse to find out how "normal" this was. After witnessing back-to-back contractions she decided to check my progress. I'd dilated to 4 cm and she told me she'd call the anesthesiologist for my epidural. He showed up not long after she'd called and minutes after the Cervidal was taken out (my water broke during the process as well) and we had to work through contractions to get the epidural administered.
Moments later, my legs were numb and I was thanking him for providing such sweet relief! I told him he was my favorite person of the day thus far! (I'm sure he hears that a lot!) An hour later I'd progressed to 8 cm and by the time things were set up in my room it was time to push. The next hour and a half was quite exhausting and at 10:27 I saw the sweet face I'd been imagining for the past 9 months! A little boy with a head full of dark hair, beautiful big blue eyes, and huge feet was placed on my chest for Mark and me to admire. And all the angels rejoiced!
No comments:
Post a Comment