Monday, May 6, 2013

Home

What is it about going home that makes my heart smile?  I can't decide if its the fact that I get a chance to pawn the boys off on Grammie and Pop, or the fact that the bar is free, or that instead of constantly taking care of people, I get taken care of as well.  I really think its that last part that I love so much!

I love turning left onto 161, knowing that in a few minutes I'll be home!  Driving over the railroad tracks and knowing that thankfully, I have 1 more minute to hold my bladder!  Turning right onto Maplebrook Ln and knowing that the 4th house on the left, is the one that will have the front door open, a bottle of Chard chilling, the bathroom waiting, and four arms open!

There is something about the smell of the Kensinger home that I love!  (Perhaps its the fresh stain from getting new windows!  Or the fact that I don't get a whiff of a diaper pail that doesn't quite hold in the stench!)  The sight of the off-white paint, the bench which once held our school bags now gets dumped with diaper bags and purses, the kitchen table which we gathered for nightly dinners thus leading to talks, fights, and prayers, the painting of Kuenzli Quarry, and the built-ins that proudly display pictures of my children and niece and nephew!  (Yes, notice how I didn't say pictures of me or Elizabeth ;-)!)

And, I swear, the house sits on the lot, just so, that there is always a lovely breeze coming in from the kitchen window!  The coffee smells better in the mornings!  The wine goes down more smoothly during cocktail hour!  And the food, ALWAYS tastes better!

It must be the love that seeps from the walls!

I hope that my boys feel the same excitement turning onto Maplebrook Ln, and Pauline Dr for that matter as I did turning onto Dolly Ave!  I hope they enjoy the smells coming from the oven as I did flowing from the blue kitchen!  I've heard them squeal with delight as they see the smiling faces that anxiously await for their arrival, much like the "sleeping" white haired and bald grandparents awaiting zerberts on the green davenport when I was little!  (If only we still had that sky blue Chevy pickup truck ;-)!!!)

I hope that the boys find the same comfort in coming home with their family as I do and I hope they feel the same love pouring from our walls, now and always!

No comments:

Post a Comment